What is the Canticle Café?
The Canticle Café is a hospitality ministry and food pantry serving more than 300 homeless and low income individuals on a daily basis in downtown Detroit. All are welcome to use the internet, browse the library, and partake in a variety of beverages and light fare at no cost! The Café is a hospitality ministry of St. Aloysius Catholic Church.
What is the Mission of the Café?
The Canticle Cafe is a Franciscan ministry of radical hospitality extending community beyond the margins of traditional outreach and charity. We do this by:
How can I volunteer?
- Serving those in need with uncompromising dignity, reverence and respect
- Emphasizing the overarching Franciscan priority of relationship building: recognizing and celebrating the relatedness we share with all those we serve!
- Providing quality food, clothing, counseling and learning opportunities free of charge.
- Utilizing Art, music, technology and library services to promote both human development and enrichment.
- Inviting our guests to participate in cafe operations and in learning how to carry out Bakery and Beanery responsibilities.
A group of volunteers from St. Priscilla periodically assists in the Canticle Café. Our group departs from the St. Priscilla parking lot at 6:30 am and returns around noon on specific Saturdays throughout the year. Please see the Christian Service Outreach Ministries events calendar. To volunteer, contact the parish office 248 476 4700.
Brother Al Mascia, OFM, is the Outreach Coordinator for the Canticle Café. He visits St. Priscilla occasionally to share his ministry. This is always a wonderful opportunity to purchase Canticle Café Fair Trade Coffee and Br. Al’s own music recordings.
Where can I learn more?