What is Habitat for Humanity?
Habitat for Humanity is an international, nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry founded in 1976. Over 350,000 houses have been built around the world, providing more than 1.75 million people in 3,000 communities with safe, decent, affordable shelter.
How does the program work?
- Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside the homeowner (partner) families.
- Habitat is not a giveaway program. Homeowners make a down payment and monthly mortgage payments. Homeowners also invest hundreds of hours of their own labor (sweat equity) into building their Habitat house and the houses of others.
- Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable loans.
- The homeowners’ monthly mortgage payments are used to build more Habitat houses.
- For more information, contact the parish office 248 46 47007