Churches, schools and youth organizations must ensure that children and youth who worship, study or participate in activities sponsored by a parish can do so in the safest and most secure setting possible. Parents and caretakers have the right to ask these institutions if they meet the requirements of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People before they allow children to become involved with them.
An effective safe environment program will have the following components:
- A code of conduct for clergy and for any other paid personnel and volunteers in positions of trust who have regular contact with children and young people.
- Training for all adults who work with children that consists of:
- signs an adult may see in a child who is abused,
- signs an adult may see in a person who abuses children,
- what actions an adult should take when they believe child abuse of any kind may be occurring,
- the laws and policies regarding the reporting of child abuse, and
- a training program for children that includes age appropriate materials pertaining to personal safety that conforms to Catholic teachings.